By 1886 Sartory was already working as a bowmaker with his father, Joseph, and brother, Emile Eugène; it is probable that he began at the age of twelve or thirteen. They lived at 7 Rue du Breuil, Mirecourt. Shortly after he went to Paris and worked, briefly, for Charles Peccatte and Joseph Alfred Lamy prior to setting up on his own account in 1889. As his business grew he employed many notable bow makers including Hermann Wilhelm Prell (1897-8), Jules Fétique (1902-34), Louis Morizot (père) (1914-1919), and Louis Gillet (1934-46).His military record shows his diminutive size resulted in his placement in the auxiliary service. His various addresses in 1914 indicate the disruption of war.
He participated in the German campaign from 20th March – 17th September 1915 but by January 1918 he was deemed unfit for continued service due to pulmonary emphysema and ulceration of the leg.
Despite the disruptions of military service and the First World War Sartory established what has come to be considered the most highly regarded bow-making workshop of the period. He created a more robust, broader headed, model than that of Lamy and it was met with considerable appreciation by leading performers, notably Eugène Ysaÿe, who was an advocate of his work.